Dear Doraville Residents,
I have thought long and hard about getting involved in the run-off election politics. Over the last 48 hours there has been so much negative and false information posted and mailed, that it has become important, to me, that I voice my opinion and remind Doraville residents of recent history.
So, remember when . . .
* Tom HART was named one of Atlanta’s 11 Least Influential People by Creative Loafing in November 2006 for verbally assaulting then City Clerk, Betty Cloer?
* Tom HART and Bob SPANGLER voted to “replace/fire” Chief King in August 2007 at 2:30 in the morning?
* Tom HART was accused in 2009 for verbally assaulting city employees? See a pattern here?
http://championnewspaper.com/doraville_faceoff.html He was later aquitted of any criminal charges.
* Tom HART ran for City Council in 2009 . . . and lost.
* Sharon SPANGLER challenged a resident during the debate in October and then walked out?
See the candidate debate video available at City Hall.
It is also important to remind people that in the last 5 years, since Spring 2007, there have been 3 resignations by sitting city council members, leaving their seats early and costing the city money in special elections and vacating their responsibility to you, the voters.
Jason Anavitarte resigned in May 2007, just 7 months before his term expired.
Tom HART resigned his seat in August 2007, facing a recall effort, to run for Mayor and lost.
Bob ROCHE resigned on November 16th of this year, just 6 weeks before his term would officially end.
Doraville voters, enough is enough. Now is not the time to go backwards, and Tom HART, the SPANGLERS and others have shown a long pattern of personally attacking people, lying, and at best mis-representing information, continually embarrasing our city.
On Tuesday, December 6th, please go out and vote for Maria ALEXANDER, Trudy DEAN, and Donna PITTMAN and tell HART, the SPANGLER's, and their supporters that negative campaigning and smear politics don't work in Doraville and it is time for a positive message in our city.
Brian L. Bates
Doraville City Councilmember